2.23.2011

blackFACED

Growing up, my parents always exposed me to a variety of music. Sounds of  jazz, rap, R&B, reggae, Nigerian music took turns beaming from the boom box in my town house, or in the speakers of my parents' cars. I have grown to fully appreciate music and in turn have grown to appreciate and understand my culture. There has recently been a lot of commotion surrounding Beyonce and her depiction in a tribute to Nigerian legend Fela Kuti.



blackface? why is her face darkened? 
the "explanation" :  “The Fashion magazine is about to celebrate its 90th birthday. To celebrate this anniversary, the festivities start with the March issue, with Beyoncé on the cover. She agreed to pose for an incredible fashion shoot, with the theme of African Queen, paying a tribute to the legendary Fela Kuti (a political singer who died in 1997). Far from the glamorous Sasha Fierce, the beauty posed for the magazine with amazing designer clothes, and also in a dress created by her mother. A return to her African roots, as you can see on the picture, on which her face was voluntarily darkened. All the pictures will be available in the collectors edition, on sell at the end of this month.“

OK question: why is that people feel that in order to give tribute to Africa, one must darken their skin. African men and women come in all different, color, shapes, and sizes. I'm afraid that Beyonce has perpetuated a stereotype instead of paying homage to an incredible artist. Why is it that we have been programmed to believe that all African people must be dark? I must say, I am very confused by this entire presentation.....very confused.

please enjoy some Fela in the mean time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts?