6.23.2010

follow your dreams

When your'e a kid, it seems like dreams come so easily. You dream about become a fire fighter, or a fashion designer. You dream about your dream girl or guy and maybe even your dream wedding. You dream about becoming the next Kobe Bryant or Usain Bolt. As children, dreams seem so attainable. Our school teachers feed us that whole concept about the "American Dream." If we work hard and do what we are told, we will get to where we want to go. But, that is not always true. Sometimes life throws you curve balls and you get off track or you loose faith in your dreams. You deem them as impossible, or non-realistic. Why is it so easy for children to believe in their dreams? Does the world take that much of a toll on us as young adults, that we trade our dreams in for "realistic", everyday jobs that fall into the norm, numb drum everyday life. Now, don't get me wrong, as a young adult I do realize that some dreams aren't realistic. The people we idolize are the way they are because they have been given gifts, God-given talents. I think our goal in life is just to find what our talent is. For me, finding my dream seems to be a more daunting task than actually making it a reality. I want to do so many things with my life, but I feel like I should have a focus. Is having a focus necessary?

 ♥ I want to be a photographer. I love the idea that one picture can capture an emotion, a feeling, and can tell a story. Like the cliched saying goes "A picture is worth 1000 words."

♥  I want to make my own clothes. I've been sketching clothes and making designs since my freshman year of highschool. Either that or be involved with something to do with graphic design or fashion.

♥ I want to model. Now I know, that sounds silly, but I just want to be the focus of a photo-shoot for something or the other. Most of the time I've been the girl behind the camera, which I enjoy. But, sometimes it's nice when someone actually wants to take your picture.

♥ I wanna run fast...real fast. Im on the track team and its my last year. Most people who know me think that track is a waste of my time. But I love it. I'm a hurdler and a triple jumper, and any coach that has ever seen me practice cant deny that I have potential. I know that I can do big things with it.

♥ I want to write. I have love to read and write since I was a kid. It comes natural to me. I've always dreamed of writing for a magazine. A teenage magazine like Seventeen or Teen Vogue, or a "everything magazine like Vibe.

♥ I want to create stuff. Yes, I know, the phrase is ambiguous. But I just like creating things...logos, collages, retouching photos, greeting cards, sketches...anything. I've liked "arts and crafts"  since I can remember and having a computer makes it that much easier to have the ability to create at my fingertips.

♥ I want to direct music videos. Whenever I listen to a song on my ipod, i can set a scene in my mind and picture how I feel the music video should be. I mean I'm sure a lot of people do that, but creating music video concepts is just something I have always wanted to do.





Those are most of my dreams in a nutshell. I feel like remembering your dreams are important and for me, stating them like this, here, is the first step to making them come true. This summer I hope to make some progress. Wish me luck!



"when you give up your dream, you die"- Flashdance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts?